Saturday, November 12, 2011

MmmmmMuffins

After a stormy, windy day yesterday today is the kind of grey, cold, soaking wet day that Vancouver is so (in)famous for in November (and to be fair we have had relatively few this Fall so far). 

We snuggled in bed as long a possible before the chores of the day could not be ignored any longer. 

The boys had to go off to a soccer match in Burnaby and will be soaked and freezing when they get home.  Lindsay and I had an unsuccessful time trying to find some supplies for Christmas presents we are hoping to make ourselves.

As I have previously established in this blog I am craft-deficient - I have great ideas, great plans but am easily discouraged when things don't go as the You Tube tutorial video showed!!  Today we just could not find two crucial ingredients and I am frustrated.

My children may not, in their adult years, be able to recall much of my baking.  Here too I suffer from a deficit and am not overly adventuresome in the baking department.  Although in my own defence I have pulled off a couple of epic desserts in my time (with equally epic portions of stress and anxiety!).

But I am counting on the fact my children will remember Mom's Cheese Muffins......we fondly call them Mom's Best Ever Muffins.....ok........ I make them call them that!



Its a recipe out of a magazine that I cut out about 20 years ago and glued into my "Recipe File" when I was an idealistic young homemaker.  sigh.  I even wrote "excellent" next to the recipe......

I have made them so often now I know the recipe by heart.  Its a basic recipe that can be changed up in any number of ways.  Today I have 4 different kinds of cheese in them, most often I do cheddar and rosemary.....




So when the boys get home there will be warm Mom's Best Ever Muffins and a warm pot of tea to take the chill off and warm them up before we head downtown on the train to the Circle Craft Christmas Market which we love!

Oh.....you want the recipe?  OK!


210 g flour
30 ml sugar
15 ml baking powder

Sift into bowl.

Beat together
190 ml milk
80 ml oil
1 egg

Make well in centre of dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredient and mix until just combined.

Here you can add the cheese/s, rosemary, cranberries, chocolate chips........whatever you like.

Will make a dozen small muffins - I like to make 8 bigger ones - 2 for each of us and none left over - they don't keep very well anyway!
Enjoy your Best Ever Muffins

2 comments:

  1. I made these! For those of you who don't bake in grams, here are the conversions:

    1 2/3c flour
    2 Tablespoons Sugar
    1 Tablespoons Baking Powder

    3/4c + 2 teaspoons milk
    1/4c + 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon oil
    1 egg

    I added about 1 cup cheddar cheese.

    Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes.

    My kids love them! Thanks Nicky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the conversion! Try them with Applewood smoked cheddar - yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...