Monday, December 16, 2013

This land is your land....this land is my land....

Funny how every nation has that song......I know both the Canadian and South African versions...

I have been so struck again at the beauty and diversity of this country's landscapes.......and though we are missing huge swathes of the country I think we have done well to give the children (and ourselves) a great taste of the variety of landscapes this country offers.

From the cape and its distinct architecture and rugged coast and huge, long flat beaches....to the mountains and the vineyards in valley after valley, to the scrub bush of the semi-desert to the sand dunes and lagoons of the Garden Route.....

Each has taken my breath away......again......

I found myself thinking today that this little taste of what we have seen so far, and we are not even half way through this trip, may have whetted my appetite for more.....then I remembered how much work planning this trip was and immediately thought of a few North American destinations still on my bucket list...HA HA..... maybe when we retire?

The last couple of days have been a bit slower which has been so welcome as Allan and I are still fighting bugs....I got some good mooti for my cough today so tonight I hope to get a decent sleep.

We are 3 sleeps away from flying to Durban and the big family reunion.....I am glad we had this time to travel together and get our feet firmly on the ground but we are ready to meet those cousins and nieces and nephews and hug on the Grandparents and Aunt and Uncle.....The children feel connected to the country now, in love with its beauty, its animals, its food.....far more understanding of its politics and realities and complexities and now ready to find their identity as "Byres"....to fit in with their Byres family and belong there for a while.......

We are having dinner al fresco courtesy of Woolworths Food Store (Which I will personally protest ever coming to Canada lest I need a 4th job to pay that bill) and then to the 6km beach outside the door for a sunset walk.......

Tomorrow...... tomorrow...... we ride the elephants at sunset.....somebody pinch me!

And tomorrow my blog turns 3 years old....... I could never have guessed then that this is where I would be on this day......3 years later - for those who read - my deep and humble thanks......its a journey and I am glad to be sharing it with you.

I feel so lucky, so blessed........ very very happy.......

Some random photos......none edited......










No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...