Friday, January 17, 2020

2000 - 2020

Well that snuck up on me and honestly if my colleague, with a brain for dates, hadn't pointed it out I would likely have missed it all together.  

I have been at this desk - this very desk as it turns out (welcome to non-profit life) - for 20 years today!

Truth be told I was at it before then but only on a contract for a few months before a baby boy arrived in my life.  

January 17th, 2000 I started at this job.

That seems completely crazy.  

That 2000 person with a newborn and a 2 year old seems a lifetime ago and yet.... and yet...it seems like yesterday.

I remember those first weeks so clearly.  I was working 2 jobs  - this one and one as a Ministry Social Worker -they were hectic, full days.  

I was such a rookie.  

I feel nothing but gratitude for all I have learned and for the ways I have grown.  It has not always been easy and last year was the hardest by far.  There have been the requisite highs and lows but I am richer for the people I have worked with and the families I have worked for. 

To live and work in my community is a gift - to see babies grow up and go to school and graduate highschool and university and... oh boy... I bet there will be some weddings soon.  

Our vision statement is "Changing the world by honouring childhood".  They jury may still be out on changing the world but this I know... I have been changed by my work.  It has shaped me, challenged me, brought me to my knees, lifted me up and taught me SO much.  

I was tempted for a moment to feel like a failure that I have been doing the same job for so long but those feelings were quickly changed to gratitude for all this journey has been.

What does the future hold?  

I have no real idea but I have lots of ideas and lots more to accomplish - early childhood and early childhood educators are my passion - to work in a job that holds both your intellect and your heart is a gift I won't easily give up. 

Thank you to all those that have worked alongside me, served on my Board, trusted us with your children, supported me... it takes a village to grow an Executive Director and this one is more grateful for her village than you could ever know.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...