Tuesday, October 2, 2018

On chickens and their hatching

I am a "don't count your chickens before they hatch" kinda person.

It's not pessimism exactly. 

It's more about self preservation - waiting until a thing is FOR SURE before allowing those emotions to flow. 

Well

Today they flowed... right out of my eyes as it turns out.

Today I received a big brown box full of books I ordered.  

A book written by two of the leading lights in the field of Early Childhood Education in North America who have inspired and mentored me over a couple of decades now.  I truly see them as two of the biggest, deepest thinkers in the type of early childhood practice we aspire to provide.  They are multi-published authors, world travellers and speakers, sheroes of the field!

When they asked me if I would tell the story of our organisation ... in their book... I was floored.  

Me?  Us?  As we muddle through imperfectly?  

Their YES was emphatic.  Their reasoning humbling.

It was clear I would collaborate with my colleagues to tell our story.

We sat in my living room one day and started to write.  

Boy was it daunting and hard.  What to include, what to leave out... we second guessed every sentence and eventually we realised we had to send it off to be read by two accomplished writers and published authors and we took a deeeeeeep breath and hit send. 

I'd love to tell you that was it - they just loved it and voila we were published.... but that was not to be.  As we expected they had lots of questions, suggestions and guidance for us.  It was a total joy to have writing meetings via skype with them both  - we learned SO much and they were beyond gracious and encouraging.

Finally we submitted the FINAL draft and ..... nothing...... for months.... as the editors took over and the book designers weighed in etc. 

So we waited.  Quietly - only telling our nearest and dearest  - still somehow wondering if we'd make the final cut.

Well... we did... and today is a very good day. 


I'm proud of this little organization - I was the 9th staff member when I started part time in 1999.  Today we are 62 staff, 6 locations, serving over 250 families.  It has been such a rich journey of learning and failing and rising and refusing to concede and not counting chickens.  My team is incredible and passionate and brave and through hard days and tough times we have held on to our vision and values and our relentless belief in JOY and offered educators and children a rich, engaging environment to learn and grow in. I'm so lucky to lead them.

Today is a gift and an ode to perseverance and community and the pursuit of excellence in all circumstances.

Here's to chickens that hatch!


2 comments:

  1. Wow Nicky well done to you and your perseverence and for this wonderful achievement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - I feel very lucky! Love to all.

      Delete

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...